Going through trauma means experiencing a range of different emotions that are caused by an event from the past, may it be a single event or a childhood experience. Recovering from childhood trauma is not an easy process; there will be a lot of emotions to process. The trauma can stay in the patient’s body and affect their normal life until it is completely processed.
People who have gone through trauma in their life sometimes have no idea how to recover from emotional trauma. If you have a loved one or a friend who is recovering from trauma, here are some ways you can teach them how to heal from it.
What is Trauma?
Trauma can be categorized into two types: emotional and psychological. Both are results of stressful events that negatively impact a person’s life, making them feel helpless and possibly in danger. Psychological trauma can leave the person with a lot of upsetting memories, emotions, and extreme anxiety which will lead to disconnection and broken relationships.
Trauma is caused by a lot of factors. Here are some of the reasons why people go through trauma:
- One-time incidents. These are the events that take place once in a person’s life such as an accident, violent attack, injury, or a childhood memory.
- Recurring stress. This can be caused by fear and anxiety for reasons such as living in an unsafe location, domestic violence, bullying, and many more.
- Commonly overlooked causes. These causes can include events that may seem normal to some but have a deep traumatic impact on others, such as the death of a loved one, surgery, and ending relationships.
Teaching Someone How to Heal From Trauma
Here are the best things you can do to help someone recover from trauma:
1. Offer Support
In offering love and support to the person who experienced a traumatic event, you can help them feel at ease and learn to accept and face what happened to them. Support comes in many forms:
- Make yourself available and spend time with them like you normally do.
- Don’t take their actions personally. People who don’t know how to heal from trauma experience a lot of emotions during this time. They may be angry, depressed, and irritable. Try to understand their emotions and not react negatively.
- Give them reassurance that their actions are normal.
- Help them maintain their daily routine.
- Give them space when they need it.
2. Talk to Them About it
Talking to your loved one about their traumatic experience and how they can heal from it is a healthy practice to help them recover. Allow them to talk through every detail about what happened, but remember not to insist when they do not want to talk about it. Give them reassurance that you are there to listen to whenever they are ready.
If you feel like they are not comfortable talking to you, make sure that they have somebody else to talk to.
3. Involve Them in Activities
To make them feel normal and at ease about certain situations, try to involve them in fun activities such as exercising, swimming, and socializing with friends. These activities can make them feel comfortable and reduce their stress levels. Find ways to make them laugh or smile.
Trauma and Addiction
The connection between trauma and addiction is usually talked about in recovery. The human brain is always changing based on our experiences and skills. Traumatic experiences can change how people feel and think. People who have experienced traumatic events will be reminded of these experiences from time to time.
Trauma is known to be the cause of certain mental health issues such as PTSD.
The majority of people who suffer from addiction have experienced some sort of trauma in the past. People who are struggling to recover from traumatic experiences may turn to drugs and alcohol as a form of self-medication. PTSD, depression, and social withdrawal are results of traumatic experiences. All of these can be eased with the use of stimulating drugs and alcohol. However, these effects can only last for a while before another problem surfaces.
For people who need help recovering from both trauma and addiction, many rehabilitation centers offer addiction and trauma treatments. The best approach for people who struggle with this issue is to work on keeping a healthy, sober life before resolving the trauma they are experiencing.
If you are looking for a recovery center near Nashville, Haven House Recovery Center is open and willing to help anyone who is battling addiction and trauma in their life. Being present and helping them get the right treatment is the best and only support you can offer. Let us help you; visit our website to know more about the treatments we offer and contact us now.